Bonus Features: ‘Top Gun: Maverick’ soars to new heights with over 110 minutes of extras
The year’s biggest movie is finally coming home. The billion-dollar blockbuster juggernaut, “Top Gun: Maverick,” will be available to own at long last in 4K Ultra HD, Blu-ray and Digital on November 1.
If the theatrical action wasn’t enough for you, the home release boasts over 110 minutes of new content, and Paramount knows just how eager audiences are to get their hands on all the extras.
Before we get into all those delicious behind the scenes bonus features, we’ve got to take a look at the movie that ruled the summer. From the cutting-edge aerial stunts to the seamless special effects and the historic box office run to back it all up, “Maverick” has it all.
Coming 36 years after the original, “Top Gun: Maverick” is one of the best cohesive legacy sequels of recent memory. Nothing is shoehorned into the plot or feels forced, and there’s a different and fresh story to tell. By bringing new technology to the forefront, both in front and behind the camera, “Maverick” is able to feel true to its predecessor while still showing just how far we’ve come in the last three-and-a-half decades. Director Joseph Kosinksi has always shown a knack for visuals, but he and his crew really took it to another level here. All while timeless wonder Tom Cruise continues to flex, proving that age does not always mean rust.
Now, about those extras.
Special Features on 4K Ultra HD, Blu-ray and Digital
- Cleared For Take Off – Witness the most intense film training program in this nine-minute look at how the cast prepared themselves for filming while pulling multiple G’s in a fighter plane.
- Breaking New Ground – Filming “Top Gun: Maverick” – This eight-minute behind the scenes featurette with the cast and crew examines how “Maverick” took things up a notch in the air this time around.
- A Love Letter To Aviation – Tom Cruise shares his love of aviation and we get a closer look at his personal P-51 that was used in the film in this five-minute extra.
- Forging The Darkstar – Take a at the experimental aircraft specially designed for the film’s opening sequence and hear about the future of aviation in this seven-minute extra.
- Masterclass with Tom Cruise – Cannes Film Festival – 49 minute sit down with Cruise as he discusses his career.
- Hold My Hand – Lady Gaga Music Video
- I Ain’t Worried – OneRepublic Music Video
- Mission: Impossible – Dead Reckoning Part One Teaser Trailer
“Top Gun: Maverick” releases November 1 on 4K Ultra HD, Blu-ray, DVD + Digital.
Joel Winstead View All
Film critic and member of the NCFCA and SEFCA
Leave a Reply