The spooky season re-releases keep on coming, this time with a classic horror haunt from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment in the form of “Fright Night.”
The 1985 vampire thriller follows Jerry Dandrige (Chris Sarandon), a seemingly perfect neighbor with a dark side – he’s actually a bloodthirsty monster. Only 17-year-old Charley Brewster (William Ragsdale) knows Jerry’s secret, but he can’t get anyone else believe him. Desperate to save his sweetheart Amy (Amanda Bearse) from a bloody demise, Charley turns to TV horror host Peter Vincent (Roddy McDowall), who used to be the “Great Vampire Killer” of the movies.
Director Tom Holland’s film terrified fans nearly four decades ago, and it’s still just as scary now in restored 4K resolution with Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos audio. Plus, the new Limited Edition 4K Ultra HD Steelbook comes with a whopping 14 hours of special features, including some brand new extras.
When it comes to vampire flicks, they’re typically set at night, and with a name like “Fright Night” this one is no exception. With that being said, the 4K remastering does the original 35mm film justice enhancing the rich, dark shadows and letting the few colorful sequences pop. The Dolby Atmos sound mix brings the film’s soundtrack to life, while balancing the tracks with effective dialogue levels.
Let’s take a look at all the bonus features the home release has to offer.
Special Features on 4K Ultra HD, Blu-ray and Digital
- NEW: Deleted Scene Storyboards – Tom Holland guides us through the film’s only deleted scene, using his personal pre-production storyboards
- NEW: Holland/Beyda Spec Trailer with an Introduction by Tom Holland – The never-before-seen alternate trailer cut by “Fright Night” editor Kent Beyda with the guidance—and narration—of Tom Holland
- Audio Commentary with Writer/Director Tom Holland, Actors Chris Sarandon & Jonathan Stark, Moderated by Filmmaker Tim Sullivan
- Audio Commentary with Writer/Director Tom Holland, Actors William Ragsdale & Stephen Geoffreys, FX Artist Randall Cook, Moderated by Journalist Jeremy Smith and Filmmaker Tim Sullivan
- You’re So Cool, Brewster! The Story of “Fright Night”
- What is “Fright Night”?
- Tom Holland: Writing Horror
- Theatrical Trailers
- NEW: “Fright Night” 35th Anniversary Script Read – An anniversary cast reunion and script reading featuring writer/director Tom Holland and special guests including Rosario Dawson, Jason Patric, and many more!
- NEW: The Queer Lens: Bryan Fuller in Conversation with Amanda Bearse – A candid discussion between “Fright Night” aficionado Bryan Fuller (“Hannibal,” “Queer for Fear: The History of Queer Horror”) and “Fright Night” star Amanda Bearse about the Gothic’s queer roots, the film’s queer subtext, and its metaphorical power
- NEW: A Novel Approach: The Splatterpunk Story of the “Fright Night” Novelization – Tom Holland, “Fright Night” novelization authors John Skipp and Craig Spector, and publisher Mark Alan Miller discuss how the progenitors of the splatterpunk genre came to work on the book, their writing process, and the novel’s enduring legacy
- NEW: SFX Storyboard Comparisons – A selection of original storyboards from key effects sequences, compared with their final filmed versions
- Roddy McDowall: From Apes to Bats
- Tom Holland and Amanda Bearse Talk “Fright Night”
- Round Table with Tom, Stephen and William
- Shock Till You Drop Presents Choice Cuts with Tom Holland and Ryan Turek
- First Ever Fright Night Reunion Panel – Fear Fest 2 (2008)
- Weekend of Hell Panel with Amanda and Stephen
- Vintage EPK with Behind-the-Scenes Raw Footage
Zach Goins is a member of the North Carolina Film Critics Association based in Raleigh, N.C. Zach co-founded Inside The Film Room in 2018 and serves as Editor-in-Chief of the website and co-host of the podcast. Zach also serves as a film critic for CLTure.org.