If you’re like me, you may have missed out on “The Lost City” in theaters, and if you did, that means you missed out on a charming, action-comedy blast from the past. But fear not, the Sandra Bullock and Channing Tatum adventure has arrived on 4K Ultra HD, Blu-ray and Digital to save the day.
While on tour promoting her new romance-adventure book, reclusive author Loretta Sage (Bullock), gets kidnapped by an eccentric billionaire who hopes she can lead him to an ancient city’s lost treasure from her latest story. Determined to prove he can be a hero in real life and not just on the pages of her books, Loretta’s handsome cover model, Alan (Tatum), sets off to rescue her.
Part swashbuckling adventure, part odd couple comedy, and part erotic fanfiction parody, “The Lost City” blends its genres together well to create a cohesive and entertaining film. Much of that is thanks to the excellent chemistry and charm between Bullock and Tatum.
Both stars have proven their charisma time and time again on the big screen, so naturally the two are a perfect fit together in “The Lost City.” While Bullock’s character is more on the snarky and sarcastic side, it’s Tatum who steals the show. As one of the world’s most handsome men, it’s hard to imagine Tatum overflowing with insecurities, but that’s who Alan is, constantly questioning his intelligence and looking for ways to prove himself, with Tatum channeling a version of himself more in line with Jenko from the “Jumpstreet” films. The result is an absolute delight, proving we need another dozen roles in which Tatum plays an insecure dummy.
Another reason “The Lost City” works so well is because of its balance between being goofy and sincere. The earnestness of one character looking for validation and another trying to find herself, all while defying death in increasingly dramatic ways in the middle of a jungle creates quite a bit of juxtaposition between plot and tone, which works well here.
Now that “The Lost City” is making its way home, let’s take a look at all the extras the home release includes.
Special Features on 4K Ultra HD, Blu-ray and Digital
- Deleted Scenes — More fun you didn’t see in theaters!
- Bloopers — Laugh along with the cast at their hilarious on-set bloopers.
- Dynamic Duo — Behind-the-scenes fun with Sandra Bullock and Channing Tatum to see how their comedy chemistry perfectly aligns for this odd-couple comedy adventure.
- Location Profile — Take a trip to the exotic Dominican Republic movie location and find out how the crew dealt with heavy rain and mosquitos.
- Jungle Rescue — See how the movie’s incredible action set pieces and crazy stunts were filmed.
- The Jumpsuit — Discover what went into designing Loretta’s eye-catching purple sequin jumpsuit.
- Charcuterie — A hilarious breakdown of Loretta’s big kidnapping scene and what it’s like to come under attack from a giant charcuterie board.
- The Villains of “The Lost City” — Meet the bad guys: Abigail Fairfax and his henchmen.
- Building “The Lost City” — A look at building the film’s incredible island world.
Zach Goins is a member of the North Carolina Film Critics Association based in Raleigh, N.C. Zach co-founded Inside The Film Room in 2018 and serves as Editor-in-Chief of the website and co-host of the podcast. Zach also serves as a film critic for CLTure.org.