If there’s one thing summer movies are known for, it’s action. While Michael Bay’s latest, “Ambulance,” may have been a spring-time release, it’s coming home for more adventure just in time for summer blockbuster season.
Revolving around two brothers (Jake Gyllenhaal and Yahya Abdul-Mateen II) and a heist gone wrong, “Ambulance” follows the criminals in a high-speed chase throughout Los Angeles, all inside of the titular emergency vehicle.
It may not be the smartest of films – plot holes and tropes abound – but when it comes to Bay’s films, that’s not why we watch. The popcorn is flowing and the action is explosive, and that makes “Ambulance” more than enough fun. Throw in some memorable cinematography and charismatic actors, and you’ve got a film worthy of watching and rewatching, making it a great addition to any Blu-ray collection.
As any Bay film is, “Ambulance” is packed with spectacle – action and thrills that may not make total sense, but are fun nonetheless. That much was true on the big screen, and rings even more true at home, as the 4K Ultra HD disc delivers dazzlingly detailed visuals. From the extreme damage throughout Los Angeles to the zooming drone footage and Bay’s signature orange-tinted style, everything here looks striking and crisp. The same goes for the film’s audio, bringing the chaos of explosions and sirens to life with an immersive Dolby Atmos soundtrack.
The film itself and its excellent presentation on 4K is reason enough to pull the trigger and add “Ambulance” to your collection, meaning any extras would be an added bonus. That’s good news, considering the bonus features are slim with “Ambulance.”
Six new featurettes accompany the film, ranging from stunt explorations to a first responders tribute, and while none dive particularly deep into the subject matter, they are certainly still entertaining. The “Bayhem” extra in particular sheds light on what it’s like to work with Bay, adding character to the director from his high-energy style to his extreme stunts.
Let’s take a look at everything the bonus features offer.
Special Features on 4K Ultra HD, Blu-ray and Digital
- Bayhem – Jake Gyllenhaal, Yahya Abdul-Mateen II, Eiza González and crew discuss what it’s like to work on a Michael Bay set as viewers watch the legend himself masterfully conduct the mayhem.
- Pedal to the Metal – A look at how Michael Bay took his car chase craft to a whole other level for “Ambulance.”
- Aerial Assault – Learn how the breath-taking, heart-stopping aerial images in “Ambulance” were captured.
- Finding Ambulance* – Filmmakers and cast discuss the genesis of “Ambulance” and what drew them to the project.
- Chase Capital of the World* – Jake Gyllenhaal, Yahya Abdul-Mateen II, Eiza González and crew discuss how LA’s endless miles of highways and sprawling streets became a character in the film and the perfect location for “Ambulance.”
- A Tribute to First Responders – Jake Gyllenhaal and Eiza González talk about their growing understanding, respect, and gratitude for first responders.
*Only on 4K Ultra HD and Blu-ray
Zach Goins is a member of the North Carolina Film Critics Association based in Raleigh, N.C. Zach co-founded Inside The Film Room in 2018 and serves as Editor-in-Chief of the website and co-host of the podcast. Zach also serves as a film critic for CLTure.org.