Bonus Features: Two David Lean classics get 4K release for special anniversaries
Two all-time David Lean classics are getting the 4K treatment thanks to Sony Pictures Home Entertainment. Combining to win a total of 14 Academy Awards, “Lawrence of Arabia” and “The Bridge on the River Kwai” are releasing as limited edition 4K Ultra HD Steelbooks to celebrate their 60th and 65th anniversaries, respectively.
For cinephiles everywhere, these two heralded films are must-haves to add to your collection, thanks to the stunning 4K visuals, immersive audio, and wealth of bonus features.
“Lawrence” was restored and released on 4K Ultra HD semi-recently, hitting shelves back in 2020, however this version marks an improvement even on that edition. The presentation of the film over two separate 4K discs allows the visuals to truly shine, while the audio’s richness and clarity is impeccable. For “Kwai,” the enhancements are there, but not nearly as drastic. The newly-added Dolby Vision HDR and original mono audio separate the new Steelbook edition from it’s 2017 UHD predecessor, but beyond that, the biggest upgrade is the beautiful casing that goes hand in hand with “Lawrence’s.”
While the bonus features included on both films may not be new, all carrying over from previous home releases, they are sure to occupy the attention of fans for quite some time. Let’s take a look.
“Lawrence of Arabia” Special Features
- Peter O’Toole Revisits “Lawrence of Arabia”
- Making of “Lawrence of Arabia” Documentary
- Deleted Balcony Scene with Introduction by Anne V. Coates
- The Lure of the Desert: Martin Scorsese on “Lawrence of Arabia”
- A Conversation with Steven Spielberg
- Wind, Sand and Star: The Making of a Classic (1963 & 1970 Versions)
- Maan, Jordan: The Camels Are Cast
- In Search of Lawrence
- Romance of Arabia
- King Hussein Visits “Lawrence of Arabia” Set
- In Love with the Desert Documentary
- “Lawrence” at 50: A Classic Restored
- Archival InterviewsSteven Spielberg on “Lawrence of Arabia”
- William Friedkin on “Lawrence of Arabia”
- Sydney Pollack on “Lawrence of Arabia”
- New York Premiere Footage
- Advertising Campaigns
- Vintage Trailers & TV Spots
“The Bridge on the River Kwai” Special Features
- Crossing the Bridge: Picture-in-Picture Graphics Track
- Making of “The Bridge on the River Kwai”
- The Steve Allen Show with William Holden & Alec Guinness
- “The Bridge on the River Kwai” Premiere Narrated by William Holden
- “Rise and Fall of a Jungle Giant” Featurette
- USC Short Film Introduced by William Holden
- An Appreciation by Filmmaker John Milius
- Photo Gallery
- Theatrical Trailers
“Lawrence of Arabia” and “The Bridge on the River Kwai”release on 4K Ultra HD, Blu-ray + Digital on June 7, 2022.
Zach Goins View All
Zach Goins is a member of the North Carolina Film Critics Association based in Raleigh, N.C. Zach co-founded Inside The Film Room in 2018 and serves as Editor-in-Chief of the website and co-host of the podcast. Zach also serves as a film critic for CLTure.org.
Leave a Reply