When the box office needs a jumpstart, give it a little Dwayne Johnson. The Rock is always able to work some magic – even in a pandemic – and “Jungle Cruise” was no exception.
The summer blockbuster co-starring Emily Blunt brought the classic Disneyland ride to life in a swashbuckling, action-packed treasure hunt. Following in the footsteps of its fellow ride-to-screen film, “Pirates of the Caribbean,” “Jungle Cruise” channels the same playful and thrilling quest for adventure that made “Pirates” such a hit.
Now, “Jungle Cruise” is sailing home on 4K Ultra HD, Blu-ray, DVD and Digital, after already making its way to Disney Plus on Disney+ Day.
“Jungle Cruise” finds Dr. Lily Houghton (Blunt) and wisecracking skipper Frank Wolff (Johnson) teaming up for the adventure of a lifetime as they search through the Amazon for an ancient tree with healing abilities. Amidst danger and supernatural forces lurking in the jungle, secrets of the lost tree unfold as their fate – and mankind’s – hangs in the balance.
The home release comes loaded with bonus features, including a whopping 11 deleted scenes. Rather than a traditional director’s commentary track, the Blu-ray offers “Jungle Cruise Expedition Mode,” which will be a hit with Disney-lovers as it points out Easter Eggs and trivia nods to the original ride, as well as other fun facts throughout the film.
Let’s take a look at everything this home release has to offer!
Special Features on Blu-ray and Digital
- Jungle Cruise Expedition Mode – Climb aboard a ramshackle tramp steamer (or your own couch) to learn fun facts, discover Easter eggs and catch some pop-up trivia throughout the movie.
- It’s A Jungle Out There: Making Jungle Cruise – Director Jaume Collet-Serra, the cast and crew discuss the importance of the film’s elements, from casting to makeup to the use of an ancient indigenous language, in creating the world that honors one of Disneyland’s most beloved rides.
- Dwayne And Emily: Undoubtedly Funny – Go on-set with the two stars, whose newfound friendship helped them project a natural onscreen chemistry. Although their characters challenge each other throughout the film, the actors make each other laugh. A lot!
- Creating The Amazon – Explore the cinematic artistry involved in creating the world of “Jungle Cruise,” including how Frank’s boat coursed “dangerous” water in a tank in Atlanta, how a town was built in Kauai, and how a ferocious jaguar came to life, among other amazing effects.
- Once A Skip, Always A Skip – Join a panel of “Skippers” at the Disneyland Resort as they reminisce about the rewards, challenges and surprises they’ve experienced while helming the world-famous “Jungle Cruise” attraction, and hear their advice to aspiring skippers everywhere!
- Outtakes – Step behind the scenes of the production to catch the cast in a series of flubs, falls, foibles – and a whole lot of laughter.
- Deleted Scenes
- MacGregor Drives The Boat
- MacGregor Water Skis
- Joachim And Nilo On The Dock
- Frank Talks To Proxima & Lily’s Nightmares
- Sub Gets Stuck
- Proxima Surprises MacGregor
- Frank Gets The Cold Shoulder
- Trader Sam And Lily Walk In The Jungle
- MacGregor And Trader Sam Say Goodbye
- Frank Makes Tea For Lily
- The Backside Of Water
Zach Goins is a member of the North Carolina Film Critics Association based in Raleigh, N.C. Zach co-founded Inside The Film Room in 2018 and serves as Editor-in-Chief of the website and co-host of the podcast. Zach also serves as a film critic for CLTure.org.