If you weren’t able to brave going to the movie theater back in July, now’s your chance to check out “Old,” as one of the year’s better horror releases is coming home on October 19.
Set in a world only Shyamalan could conjure up, a family of four takes a vacation to the beach, only to find themselves at the mercy of time itself. Its unique premise forces viewers to examine their relationship with time, or lack thereof. It’s existential enough to mess with viewers’ heads, while the body horror and dread that builds throughout is just the right amount to keep audiences engaged. If you are a fan of Shyamalan, this home release should certainly be in your collection.
M. Night filmed “Old” on actual film, meaning the 4K transfer here is absolutely delicious. The colors on the beach – and especially the characters’ clothing – really pop. Couple that with the Dolby Atmos sound and it makes for an impressive movie night at home.
Shyamalan’s best sensibilities as a director are on full display with a film that is not only beautiful to look at, but is entirely fun to try not to look away in horror.
As far as bonus features go, “Old” contains four featurettes and a handful of deleted scenes. Let’s take a look!
Special Features on Blu-ray and Digital
- Shyamalan Family Business – An inside look at Shyamalan’s daughters, Ishana and Saleka, and how they contributed and collaborated on “Old.”
- All the Beach Is a Stage – The director discusses shooting on an actual beach, the tone of the film and how he managed to capture it all on film.
- Nightmares in Paradise – This featurette explores the locations where the film was shot.
- A Family in the Moment – Cast and crew talk about the shooting of a very emotional scene.
- Deleted Scenes
- Cold Open
- Maddox Overlooked
- Guy and Prisca Have a Moment
- Spa Options
- Trent’s Trunk
- Mirror Mirror
- Maybe They’re on Their Way?
- Patricia’s Loss
- Birthday Party
Film critic and member of the NCFCA and SEFCA