Bonus Features: ‘A Quiet Place: Part II’ sets up a perfect double feature
In 2018, writer-director John Krasinski burst onto the horror scene with an instant classic in “A Quiet Place.” The terrifying thriller delivered one of the most unique moviegoing experiences of all time, and quickly earned a spot as my favorite film of the year. While the story of the Abbott family could have easily come to a close after the first chapter, a sequel was announced, and thank god for it.
As nervous as I may have been to continue on the story and risk tarnishing something so perfect, Krasinski knew better, and “A Quiet Place: Part II” hit theaters after a lengthy delay in May of 2021. The result was a beautiful and thrilling continuation of the story which built on the foundation of the first film without every straying too far from its core.
Immediately upon leaving the theater after “Part II,” one thought entered my mind: I can’t wait to watch these two movies back-to-back. Now, two months after hitting theaters, the film is coming home on 4K Ultra HD, Blu-ray, DVD and Digital, and fans can do just that.
The home release comes with the film in a stunning 4K transfer, as well as in high definition on the Blu-ray disc. Technically speaking, the visuals and Dolby Atmos soundtrack are reason enough to add this 4K release to any collection, and the quality of the movie itself only adds to the laundry list of reasons. Unfortunately, the bonus features leave quite a bit to be desired, which is typical for most new releases these days.
Let’s take a look.
Special Features on 4K Ultra HD, Blu-ray, DVD and Digital
- Director’s Diary: Filming with John Krasinski – This 10-minute interview with Krasinski sees the director on set filming multiple scenes of the movie and breaking down his thought process behind each one.
- Pulling Back the Curtain – A generic cast and crew interview montage examining the film’s iconic monsters.
- Regan’s Journey – The decision to put Millicent Simond’s Regan front and center in “Part II” is the best possible move the film could have made, and she absolutely delivers. This featurette examine’s the heroine’s growth from the first film to the second with behind the scenes footage and interviews.
- Surviving the Marina – The attack on the marina is one of the most tense sequences in the entire film, spliced perfectly with the drama set at the warehouse. This five minute clip delivers a quick look at how the scene was created.
- Detectable Disturbance: Visual Effects and Sound Design – The creatures in “A Quiet Place” are a disturbance just to look at, but they didn’t get that way without hours of painstaking work. This featurette dives into the visual and audio effects that bring the monsters to life.
“A Quiet Place: Part II” releases on 4K Ultra HD, Blu-ray, DVD and Digital on July 27, 2021.
Zach Goins View All
Zach Goins is a member of the North Carolina Film Critics Association based in Raleigh, N.C. Zach co-founded Inside The Film Room in 2018 and serves as Editor-in-Chief of the website and co-host of the podcast. Zach also serves as a film critic for CLTure.org.
Leave a Reply