There’s nothing quite like the brilliant work of William Shakespeare. From the star-crossed lovers of “Romeo and Juliet” to the theatrics of high school soccer, the Bard simply has a way with words.
Obviously, the latter puts a bit of a spin on Shakespeare’s true work, but to loyal fans of “She’s The Man,” it’s just as good as anything the legendary poet produced, and now it’s finally coming home on Blu-ray just in time for its 15th anniversary.
The “Twelfth Night” remix stars Amanda Bynes as Viola, a high school soccer player secretly filling in for her brother at an elite prep school, but things get tricky when she – posing as a man – begins to fall for her roommate and teammate Duke Orsino (Channing Tatum). In true 2006 fashion, hi-jinks ensue as Viola tries to juggle her disguise and follow her heart at the same time, all while trying to earn a scholarship to play for the University of North Carolina Tar Heels.
If that isn’t enough teenage girl drama for you, then don’t worry. “She’s The Man” arrives on the same day as Paramount’s “Girls Rule 3-Movie Blu-ray Collection,” featuring “She’s The Man,” “Mean Girls” and “Clueless.”
Even if you just opt for “She’s The Man,” you’re still getting way more than just the film, because it comes loaded with bonus features. Let’s take a look:
Special Features on Blu-ray Disc
- Cast and Crew Commentary – Watch the film and follow along as the cast and crew break it all down from start to finish.
- “Making The Man” – Director Andy Fickman and the rest of the cast and crew break down how the “Twelfth Night” offshoot came to be, from a script titled “Dude Looks Like a Lady” all the way to the finished product.
- “The Troupe” – Get to know the cast and crew of “She’s The Man” in true Shakespeare fashion. Check out behind the scenes footage and interviews with the cast breaking down all of the fun they had on set.
- Inspired By Shakespeare’s… – Fickman and co-writers Ewan Leslie, Karen McCullah, Kirsten Smith discuss their adaptation process and how they made sure the film stayed true to “Twelfth Night.”
- Nine Deleted Scenes – See what didn’t quite make the final cut and get a few extra laughs.
- Gag Reel – Who doesn’t love a good blooper real?
- “Let Go” Music Video – The official music video for Dave Lichens’ “Let Go”
Zach Goins is a member of the North Carolina Film Critics Association based in Charlotte, N.C. Zach co-founded Inside The Film Room in 2018 and serves as Editor-in-Chief of the website and co-host of the podcast. Zach also serves as a film critic for CLTure.org.