If you’ve ever enjoyed a high school movie, then you probably have John Hughes to thank. He’s played a part in creating some of the most beloved films of the 1980s and ’90s, from “The Breakfast Club” to “Home Alone” and plenty more.
No genre was more shaped by Hughes than the high school movie, though, and his influences are still being felt today. Now, five of his all-time greatest hits are coming home in one convenient place: Blu-ray and Digital!
Paramount Home Entertainment’s “John Hughes 5-Movie Collection” features “Pretty In Pink,” “Ferris Bueller’s Day Off” and “Planes, Trains and Automobiles,” as well as the Blu-ray debuts of “She’s Having a Baby” and “Some Kind of Wonderful.” The combo pack hits stores on February 23, just in time for the 35th anniversary of “Pretty in Pink” and “Ferris Bueller” this year.
On top of five classic films, the five-disc collection and its digital counterpart comes loaded with bonus features, too, and we’re here to break it all down.
“Pretty In Pink”
- Filmmaker Focus with director Howard Deutch – What started as a small film with low expectations quickly became a fan favorite, and Deutch breaks down how it all came to be.
- The Lost Dance: The Original Ending – The original ending of “Pretty In Pink” was very different than what ended up on screen, and this featurette takes you through the script and behind the scenes to show what could have been.
- Original Theatrical Trailer
“Some Kind of Wonderful”
- “Back to Wonderful: A Conversation with Director Howard Deutch” – In this brand new featurette, Deutch looks back on the near disaster that occurred behind the scenes of “Some Kind of Wonderful.”
- Commentary by director Howard Deutch and Lea Thompson – Watch the film with scene-by-scene commentary from the filmmaker and his star.
- The Making of “Some Kind of Wonderful” – The cast and crew break down how they came to be a part of the film.
- Meet the Cast of “Some Kind of Wonderful” – Find out who’s who in this 13-minute interview with the film’s cast.
- John Hughes Time Capsule – Hughes sits down with Kevin Bacon to take a look back on some of his greatest works in this interview that stretches across the bonus features of this combo pack.
“Ferris Bueller’s Day Off”
- Getting the Class Together: The Cast of “Ferris Bueller’s Day Off” – Sit down with the film’s casting directors and stars for a 30-minute chat breaking down all of the characters and how they decided who to cast.
- The Making of “Ferris Bueller’s Day Off” – Go behind the scenes and learn how Hughes came up with the idea for “Ferris Bueller” with interviews with the cast and crew.
- Who is Ferris Bueller? – Ferris Bueller has become a legendary name in pop culture, and for good reason. Hughes breaks down how he came up with the iconic character.
- The World According to Ben Stein – Get to know one of “Ferris Bueller’s” most recognizable stars: Ben Stein. He may not have had a starring role, but Stein’s “Bueller… Bueller… Bueller?” has become one of the most quotable lines in film history, and the actor himself has lived a fascinating life.
- Vintage Ferris Bueller: The Lost Tapes – It’s a blast from the past as the film’s stars interview one another on set in this 10-minute featurette.
- Class Album – Photos from the film.
“Planes, Trains and Automobiles”
- Getting There is Half the Fun: The Story of “Planes, Trains and Automobiles” – Learn all the stories of how the film came to be in this 16-minute featurette made up of a live press junket interview with Hughes and stars Steve Martin and John Candy, as well as behind the scenes interviews with the cast and crew.
- John Hughes: Life Moves Pretty Fast – This two-part documentary explores how Hughes became the “voice of a generation,” as well as the lasting effects of his on-screen legacy.
- John Hughes for Adults – Find out how Hughes adjusted from his long history of teen films to working with adult movie stars and subject matter.
- A Tribute to John Candy – At just 43 years old, comedy legend John Candy tragically passed away. This featurette pays tribute to Candy and one of his finest performances.
- Deleted Scene – “Airplane Food”
“She’s Having a Baby”
- From the Archives: Kevin Bacon Interviews John Hughes – The film’s star sits down with its director to discuss what the film has to offer to viewers of all ages.
- Theatrical Trailer
Zach Goins is a member of the North Carolina Film Critics Association based in Raleigh, N.C. Zach co-founded Inside The Film Room in 2018 and serves as Editor-in-Chief of the website and co-host of the podcast. Zach also serves as a film critic for CLTure.org.